Thursday, August 23, 2007

Bright Sunshine Equals Horrible Sunburn

By Susan Hecht, R.N.

I have to tell you, at times this summer it has been extremely hot. During one of those hot spells I had an experience with my friend, Ryan, and the hot weather. I work inside so I am fortunate enough to have an air conditioner to keep me cool. Anyone that works outdoors that I know I always express my concerns regarding sunburns and heat exhaustion. Those things that go with this wonderful summer-time weather.

Ryan is in the process of building a house. Well, he tells me that he is going to work on his house the following day. I watch the weather and see the forecast calls for a high temperature of 96 degrees. Keeping in mind that the work he is preparing to complete is OUTSIDE work, I explain to him about making sure he has plenty of water, sun block and to wear a shirt to prevent sunburn.

I must say that men are the worst when it comes to wearing sun block. I expressed my concerns about heat exhaustion, having plenty of water, taking breaks out of the sun – in an air conditioned area, if at all possible – and wearing light clothing. I would love to hear of any man who would listen to all these instructions before going outdoors to work!

Well, I must say that evening after spending a day with NO shirt on, very little to drink (I’m sure) and working on the outside deck of the house for about 5 straight hours - with no break from the sun – my friend began to complain about having the chills. You could feel the heat coming off his back.

So I asked – did you drink enough water? Did you wear a shirt? Did you take breaks out of the sun? His reply was that he needed to get the house done and I don’t have time for breaks. And, of course, he had taken off his shirt because it was so hot!

Needless to say, Ryan spent the next two days in pain with discomfort and NO work was done on the house during that time.

When he did get back to working on the house he was well armed with sun block, a jug of water and wore a light shirt. He took frequent breaks during which he applied more sun block.

It is summer time, let’s remember the things we don’t focus on with the nice weather. The sun burns so use sun block. To combat dehydration drink plenty of water or other non-alcoholic beverages. Take breaks out of the sun, preferably in air-conditioned areas. If you feel dizzy or faint see a doctor immediately. As for Ryan, he continues to work on the house but he hasn’t burned since that day.

No comments: