Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Understanding Acute Rehabilitation

By Susan Hecht, RN

A family member asked recently what exactly we do on our rehabilitation unit. I thought for a minute about how best the community would understand the importance of a Comprehensive Integrated Inpatient Rehabilitation Program. So I explained to this family member that our mission is to assist individuals with achieving their highest potential for recovery and enable them to return to their homes and communities.

After a few minutes, she asked me what types of services we offer. I explained that we offer many including physical therapy, occupational therapy, speech therapy, pet therapy, family education services, home assessments, support groups and many more. She was impressed with the services I mentioned. “I had no idea you offered all those services on that unit,” she said. I explained that we are also accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities (CARF). I offered to take her as well as other family members on a tour of the unit. They agreed, I showed them around and they were very impressed.

About three months later I was called on a consult for a patient who was recommended for our acute rehab here at Saint Francis. It happened to be the husband of the family member who had asked me about our services. He was admitted to our unit for rehabilitation after a stroke. He participated in three hours of therapy daily, and also in our Stroke Support Group. While he has returned home, he continues to come in on Fridays to our Stroke Support Group.

His wife very grateful for that one day someone took the time to explain what the Rehabilitation Unit is all about. Little did she know, at that time, that she and her husband would have need of our services just a few months later.
Education is a very important part of nursing today. Making sure the community understands how and what we do here at Saint Francis is and will continue to be a very important role for me. And, yes, that education can include your relatives.

No comments: