Thursday, January 17, 2008

Break the Fast and Eat Breakfast

By Sarah Daubman, RD
Staff Dietician

I heard in the news recently that January is “Resolve to Eat Breakfast Month.” Working in the dietetics field, I often have patients, friends and family admit to me that they do not eat breakfast. The most popular excuse is that they don’t have time. Others mistakenly think that skipping breakfast will help with weight loss goals.

It appears that they are not alone, however, given that someone decided to dedicate the whole month of January to improving our morning meal.

General Mills, a company whose business is breakfast, surveyed a group and found that only 48 percent of those aged 25-54 report eating breakfast every day. Children aged 6-11 did better, as 76 percent of those questioned ate daily breakfast.

In my opinion, breakfast IS the most important meal of the day.

Contrary to belief, eating breakfast can actually help people lose weight and keep it off. When you skip breakfast, aren’t you “starving” by lunch time? If you are like me, I’m often tempted to eat the first food I see when I am very hungry. Eating breakfast is a means to prevent you from making poor food choices and overeating later in the day.

Not convinced? Consider this: When you skip breakfast your body thinks you are fasting, thereby conserving energy and lowering your metabolism until you eat again. This means you are burning fewer calories and weight loss is less likely. Encouraging children to eat breakfast is just as important. Like adults, children who eat breakfast are less likely to be overweight. Additionally, they perform better at school and are less likely to be tardy or absent.

So, what’s the ideal breakfast? Your best breakfast will include a whole grain, a lean protein choice (such as low fat dairy, soymilk, egg whites or substitutes or a lean meat), fruit and, if desired, a serving of a healthy fat. An example would be whole wheat toast with peanut butter, half a banana and a cup of 1 percent milk.

Encourage your children to east breakfast by setting a good example. Kids may enjoy low fat chocolate milk boxes, fruit cups, open face peanut butter sandwiches with raisins or apples, or yogurt smoothies. Want to see how your breakfast adds up? Check out the Breakfast Calculator at www.breakfastresearchinsitute.org and happy eating.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I've been incorporating both this idea, and your last article regarding fiber. Skim milk and the high fiber content in oatmeal really do keep me feeling full until lunch time. Great article - thanks Sarah.

Nicole said...

I read your article *while* eating breakfast. That's pretty awesome, eh? I'm just having oatmeal, but what I'll often do if my breakfast is low on protein is mid-morning I'll have a handful of almonds to take the edge off before lunch and get some protein in. As for healthy fats, I take these handy fish oil capsules every morning before breakfast.

Thanks for the reminder we all need to break the fast!