Monday, January 28, 2008

Spreading the Word About Rehab Unit

By Susan Hecht, R.N.

I am employed by Saint Francis Hospital and Health Centers as the Rehabilitation Nursing Liaison for the Comprehensive Integrated Rehabilitation Program and recently I’ve been out in the community speaking with patients and their families about the services we offer on our Rehab Unit.

Some were surprised to hear the variety of services we offer, but others know all about us, as you can see through such comments as:

“I want to send special thanks to everyone who took such special care of me at Saint Francis Hospital”… “Saint Francis Rehab was great – showing me the things I needed to be able to care for myself at home”…“Everyone is wonderful. They were always there when you needed them.”

“The staff on the Rehabilitation Unit is wonderful. The caring, expert staff provided excellent care and taught me how to get back on my feet and begin my recovery”… “I wish to express a heartfelt appreciation for the kindness and excellent care I received. The sensitivity and support of your fine staff 24 hours a day, 7 days a week helped us through what was a difficult time following my surgery.”

And, “Express our appreciation to the staff for going ABOVE and BEYOND the call of duty everyday.”

The Rehabilitation Center at Saint Francis Hospital started in 1978. It was the first hospital rehab facility serving patients 18 and older between Albany and New York City. Our patients come from all over the mid-Hudson Region to our 26 bed facility, accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities.

Patients served include, but are not limited to, stroke, major multiple trauma, neurological disorders, polyarthritis, fracture of femur, spinal cord injuries, bilateral joint replacement, and brain injury.

Among the services offered are: 24-hour nursing care, staff physiatrist, physical therapy, occupational therapy, speech therapy, pet therapy, rehab neuropsychology, and social work.

Saint Francis Hospital’s success in providing an exceptional rehabilitation program is critical to improving quality of life and returning patients to the home setting. In fact, last year 85 percent of our patients returned home after treatment. We’re proud of the work we do and are pleased to share this information with you.

For more information feel free to call me at 845-483-5164.

No comments: